HOW TO DISCUSS CV GAPS IN AN INTERVIEW

Rana Mazumdar




 

Your CV may contain gaps for a variety of reasons. You may have spent time away from work caring for children, studying, traveling, caring for a relative, or looking for a job. In addition to redundancy, career gaps can also be caused by other factors.


In fact, these gaps are likely to become more and more common. why? Many people are continuing to work for longer – perhaps as long as the 70s and 80s – due to the increase in life expectancy. This trend may lead to a greater number of non-linear career paths, and therefore more gaps in our CVs.

 

If you have such gaps, how can you explain them to an interviewer in a way that sells you as a candidate, rather than sending employers running?

 

If you have gaps in your CV, what to do

I want to share some general principles you should remember before looking at seven of the most common resume gaps and how to explain them during a job interview:

  1. Write a well-structured response. Describe briefly why you were unemployed during that time, then what you did, and then emphasize why you think this is the right opportunity for you.

  2. The key to demonstrating that you've been productive and proactive during your time away from the workplace is to demonstrate that you did something worthwhile during your time away. You should mention what you've learned, as well as what you've done on the side, such as consulting, studying, or volunteering.

  3. Put more effort into describing how you spent your time and why this is the right position for you, rather than going into specifics about the reason for the gap.

  4. Answer honestly and openly, without going into unnecessary detail.

  5. Take a break or have a gap and do not apologize for it.

How to explain CV gaps during an interview based on the seven most common reasons

I have listed a few of the most common reasons for gaps in a Résumé, along with some example answers you could give:

1. As a result of illness, I was unable to work

  • There is no need to provide specific details about the illness

  • How have you spent your time - have you acquired new skills, for example, or kept up with industry news and trends, or volunteered in your community?

  • Emphasize why you believe the position you've applied for is a good fit for you, showing that you are ready to return to work

Example answer: The recurrent health issues I experienced prevented me from following

through my career plan, I am ready to take on this role after I recover from my previous

role. My job allows me to travel. use my skills, fit my values, and make a positive

contribution every

day."

2. I was caring for a relative

  • There is no need to go into detail about the illness or your responsibilities as a caregiver

  • Tell the relative you now have more support available or that their condition has improved

  • Explain why you are ready to return to work and why you are excited about the role

Example answer: A family member's illness forced me to leave my former job. Since last year

has done this. Since my siblings and I hired a full-time caregiver, I have resumed my job

search. My goal was to find a position with an innovative company that will allow me to use

my existing skills as a team leader, and I thought this opportunity was perfect."

3. I was made redundant from my previous job

  • Explain briefly why your previous role was eliminated - for example, budget cuts or restructuring

  • Provide examples of strong performance or accomplishments during your previous job

  • Explain how you've spent your time away from the office, and why you think the position you've applied for is a good fit for you

Example answer: During the time I worked for my previous employer, budget cuts were

made, as a result of which my position was made redundant.". I had been a credit manager in

my previous position, I achieved a lot. During my time off from work, I have taken the time

to really think about what I want from. In the process of preparing for my next role, I've been

proactive about staying abreast of developments Several industries are involved. Worked

with a team as an existing manager, helping to drive the business forward.

 

4. I went on vacation

  • Explain your motivation for traveling, highlighting your desire for personal growth, for increased cultural awareness, and for opening new horizons

  • Tell the employer that you're ready to begin working again

  • Describe why this opportunity particularly excites you

Example Answer: "I spent six months in Thailand and Vietnam learning about different cultures and gaining new perspectives. In addition to these accomplishments, I gained many invaluable lessons throughout my travels. As a digital marketing executive, I am now ready to take the next step in my career. Our organization places a high value on personal growth and career development, work-life balance for its employees, and keeping up to date with the latest developments in the field."

5. I'm in search of employment 

  • Describe how you have been actively seeking a new job

  •  Make it clear that you have taken the time to really consider what you are looking for in a new role and new employer

  • Show how you have upskilled and maintained your knowledge of industry trends during the time you spent in college

  • Explain why you believe this role is right for you - you're seeking the right role, not just any role


Example Answer: My temporary role ended six months ago, and I immediately began searching for a full-time position where I can continue to further my career, build on my skills, and make a positive impact. My job search has been quite fruitful, but I have yet to find my perfect match. I am particularly interested in the opportunities this role would provide, such as X, Y, and Z.”

6. My children needed me to take a break


  • Explain that you prioritized your family and took care of your children during this time

  • Take note of your enthusiasm for going back to work, as well as why you are now ready for it

  • Explain why you believe this position is right for you


Example Answer: After I left my last position, I had to prioritize my family and raising my son. After taking time off to grow professionally and personally, I am eager to return to work.

7. I re-entered education

  • Describe the reasons why you decided to go back to schools, such as the skills you wished to develop or the qualification you wanted to earn

  • Demonstrate your commitment to personal growth and express your belief that your skills would be useful in this position


Example Answer: The decision to return to education was made to upskill me and future-proof my career. I identified that I had a skills gap, so I returned to school. I am eager to put my new skills to use now that I have completed the course. When I came across this position, I thought it could be a good match and one I could provide real value and expertise to."

 

  

It's okay to have gaps on your resume. Your career gaps shouldn't concern an interviewer or make you feel that you need to avoid them. Your potential employer will always question gaps in your CV, so be confident and honest when answering, giving concrete examples of how you've used your time outside of work and why you're so passionate about the position.